Monday, February 7, 2011

California Gets Hammered Again

California continues to take economic blows from every direction. Recently, Forbes released the list of the 20 most miserable cities in the USA (slideshow included), and California took 8 of the 20 slots, including a staggering 4 of the top 5 (bottom 5?).  Main reasons for this many cities in CA to be included on the list are high crime, crippling housing value declines, and oppressive tax rates.  Unemployment in the 12% range doesn’t help matters.

I have lived in CA twice in my life, once (1971-1975) as a kid when my dad took a US Forest Service transfer to Redding working as the Shasta-Trinity National Forest Engineer. I came back to Cali (1987-1992) while in the USAF, stationed at George AFB outside of Victorville. George AFB closed in 1992.  I met my wife the second time through CA, and then I took her away from the sun.  She really wants to go back, but me, not so much. And with the state of the economy being what it is in CA, finding work will be more difficult than it is here in the PACNW.

No comments:

Post a Comment