Monday, February 7, 2011

Super Bowl 45 (Now What)

The game is over, the keg is dry, the chips have all been eaten, clean up has been postponed until tomorrow evening (maybe), and all the dishes of potato salad and bar-b-q beef have been put away. The Green Bay Packers have defeated the Pittsburgh Steelers 31-25 in what turned out to be a fairly exciting game.

I am not a fan of either team but I was rooting for Green Bay nearly as hard as I would for the Raiders or Cowboys. The reason for the one day alliance with the cheese heads? Any team that is playing the Pittsburgh Steelers is my favorite team for that day. My intense dislike for the Steelers goes back to 1972 and the Immaculate Reception. I still cannot get over that play. I firmly believe the Raiders would have beaten the Dolphins and gone on to the Super Bowl. Did the ball miss Fuqua completely? Probably not. Did the ball hit the turf before or as Harris was catching it? Inconclusive since the camera angles don’t have the entire ball in the pictures. It was a great play and will go down in the annals as one of the greatest of all time.

Steelers fans. Just don’t care for the way the act at games. I have been too many Super Bowl parties over the years and the behavior just bothers me. Early in the game today, a Packer was able to break free down the sidelines, but Rogers just missed the ball. The Steelers fans clapped as if the DBs made a great play. I couldn’t resist asking if they were applauding the blown coverage. Very little in the way of comment. I know the Steelers have played in more Super Bowls than any other team, and they have 6 Championships, which is also tops, but it would be nice if the Steelers fan could act like they have been there before.

The season is over and Green Bay are the champs. So where do we go from here? I’m not talking about football withdrawal and that silly crap. I’m talking about next season. The owners are planning on locking out the players this spring and will keep them locked until a new contract can be signed. I’m not going to go over the details of what the players and the owners are fussing over, except to say that this is all about a bunch of Billionaire owners and Millionaire players getting their panties in a knot over who get how much of the multi-billion TV contract. I will say this though. The players are right to ask for more retirement and injury protection and the owners are stupid to fight this move.

I’m glad I like college football so much more.  I might blog more on the labor issues in the next few weeks.  It is complicated and might be too much for a little blogger like me.

No comments:

Post a Comment